Monday, September 12, 2011

The Peanut Butter Ones

Saturday was my grandpa’s 85th birthday!  To celebrate, I decided to make him his favorite Peanut Butter cookies.  Or, as he likes to refer to them, “The ones with the peanut butter in them.” 
I love my grandfather to absolute pieces.  He is truly a wonderful man.  Although, he has a vernacular all his own; calling many things by strange and unusual words.  He does tend to get close in terms of sounds.  And whenever he calls a family member by the wrong name (which is often), he at least uses the name of someone else in our family.
In honor of Grandpa’s Birthday, I’ve decided to share the cookie recipe with you!  The recipe is by no means my own, but I’ve been using it for years because it yields truly tasty cookies.
Here’s the step-by-step on making my classic Peanut Butter Cookies.
I apologize in advance as this is my first foray into food photography, and I have noticed the pictures I use here are sub-par (that’s being kind).  I promise they will improve over time.  Just not in the time it takes you to read this post.
First thing you always want to do when you are making any kind of recipe – whether it be baking or cooking – is lay out all your ingredients. You want to have everything on hand so you’re not scrambling when you need it.  In culinary school we called this "mis en place".

Next, sift your dry ingredients together in a bowl that is not the bowl that goes on your mixer.  You don't have to use a fancy sifter, a whisk works just fine.


This next step is going to take a little time.  You're going to cream together the fats and the sugars.  Get them mixed nice and good.  Scrape the bowl and beater a few times during the process.  Ultimately, you want the mixture a light beige color and the consistency of soft serve ice cream.

Now here's where I share my feelings on those "Jars of Cookies."  You know, the kind where the ingredients come all layered in a jar with a nice bow around it and you just add the butter and eggs?  I don't like them because you can't do what I just did with the butter and sugar.  And you need to do that to get air into your cookies - makes them light and fluffy.  So, while those might seem nice to give as a gift, please don't.  Just make cookies yourself.  Then you can taste test along the way.

Back to our lesson.

After the fats and sugars have gotten nice and lovely, you may add the eggs and vanilla, mixing until well blended. Then you add the flour mixture that's been waiting patiently over in that other bowl.  Mix only until just blended - it's while this is happening that I usually add the milk.
When your cookie dough is done mixing, it's time to get to scoopin'!
I like to use a scoop for all my cookie baking.  It makes for similar sized cookies and more even baking.  It's up to you what size scoop you prefer (I use a #30 from Smart & Final), you will need to adjust your baking time accordingly.
I use a very high-tech gadget to make that classic peanut butter cookie design. 
Then it's time for the oven!  For the size scoop I use, it's about a 10 minute wait time until the cookies are perfectly baked to a golden brown.  However, if you're distracted by your son knocking over the trash can, and you don't get the cookies out in time, they'll be a touch darker than desired.
Of course, in our house, there is no such thing as cookie discrimination - my husband will eat the ones I don't think are "pretty."
But hubby won't be getting any of these cookies, as they have a special purpose.  Fred isn't the only one who doesn't mind if they're overbaked.
Happy Birthday Grandpa!


Here is the complete recipe for Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups  All Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons  Baking Soda
1 teaspoon  Salt
1 cup  Butter
1 cup  Peanut Butter (smooth or chunky)
1 cup  Granulated Sugar
1 cup  Brown Sugar
2 teaspoons  Vanilla Extract
2  Whole Large Eggs
4 tablespoons  Milk

Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Sift together dry ingredients (flour through salt), set aside.
Cream together on medium speed butter, peanut butter, and both sugars until light and fluffy.  Add in eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Slowly add dry indredients and milk until just combined.
Scoop onto cookie sheets. Press down with fork.
Bake in preheated oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Consume with tall glass of cold milk.



No comments:

Post a Comment